Assistant DirectorBGSU Office of Human Resources
This position provides the BGSU community with leadership of competitive Intramural and Extramural sports programming, with the primary focus on engaging students. Management of the Perry Field House consists of daily operations, budget, and risk management of the facility through facility reservations, interactions with physical education classes, varsity athletic teams, Recreation and Wellness programs, and external rental groups and special events.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and oversee the budgeting, scheduling, and day-to-day operations of the Perry Field House, including collaborations with primary users: Physical Education classes, Intercollegiate Athletic teams, Recreation and Wellness programs, and rental groups.
- Facilitate and manage the daily operations of the Intramural and Sport Club programs (Competitive Sports), including all facility, staff hiring and training, monthly meetings, marketing, registration, participant communications, budgeting, equipment inventory, payroll, fee, data, and statistical collection, risk management, discipline and policy implementation and enforcement.
- Responsible for the selection, scheduling, supervision, management, and evaluation of Perry Field House and Intramural Sports student employees, including Officials, Associates, Managers, and Supervisors. Directly supervise one graduate assistant and multiple student supervisors.
- Serve as the primary administrator responsible for supervising IM and SC weekend and evening activities. Ensure all Perry Field House operations and activities are administered and consistently followed across all groups, utilizing policies and procedures in place.
- Initiate Perry Field House contracts for major rental groups, small groups and individuals using approved template and negotiating rates. Provide oversight of payment process from invoicing to accounts receivable to ensure customer and university needs are met.
- Secure indoor and outdoor Recreation and Wellness facility sites for Intramural and Sport Club events. Load all events in facility/event management software. Coordinate outdoor recreation facility and equipment requests and reservations for community and university user groups. Ensure facility upkeep and risk management practices are in place and followed as needed.
- Assist with the overall operations of Youth and Family Programs throughout the year.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Principles of facility management
- Demonstrated experience and success in personnel management
- Organization and communication skills
- Evidence of positive human relation skills in a Student Affairs setting
- Training officials in a variety of sports
- Rules knowledge for a variety of sports
- Fiscal management knowledge
- Intramural and Sport Club organizational skill
- Knowledge of philosophies and purposes of IM/SC activities in relation to the University
- Program development and administration
- Student leadership and development knowledge
- Principles of risk management for sports and events
- Basic computer skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; plus recreation management software.
- Oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of promotional concepts
- Commitment to customer service
- Experience with conflict management and resolution
- Additional qualities include being:
- A team player
- Well organized
- Detail oriented
- Understanding of the commitment to professional development
Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Recreation, Recreation Administration, Sports Administration or related field required. Successful candidate must have Bachelor’s degree conferred at the time of application.
Also the following experience is required:
- 3-12 months' experience with facility operations*
- 3-12 months' experience supervising facility and/or program staff*
- 3-12 months' experience program facilitation*
*At least six months of a student employee or graduate assistantship in the areas above would be accepted.
- In addition, relevant graduate student experience will be considered
- 6-12 months' experience training sports officials
- 6-12 months' experience using software to schedule and track events
- 6-12 months' experience with risk management
- First Aid & CPR certification preferred
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 353. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: April 8, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.