Assistant Director - TRIO Student Support ServicesBGSU Office of Human Resources
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded program serving first generation, low income and/or disabled students with academic needs to ensure their retention and graduation from Bowling Green State University.
The Assistant Director of SSS assumes a leadership role in supervising and coordinating all components for the SSS program while working cooperatively with University staff and faculty to provide quality services to program participants. The position is responsible for supervising and planning the advising, tutoring, writing, math and study skills components as related to the goals and objectives of the BGSU federal grant and in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education federal policies. This position also takes a lead role in the coordination and monitoring of persistence and retention efforts of participants within the SSS program.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supervise, train and evaluate six administrative staff members
- Assist with coordination of SSS Tutoring program
- Recruit, select, train, supervise and evaluate 5+ student office workers
- Coordinate the tutorial, advising, writing, math and study skills components
- Coordinate persistence and retention efforts of SSS participants
- Assist with monitoring the program budget
- Supervise and coordinate activities to identify, select and screen program participants
- Verify eligibility of program participants
- Assign participants to advising staff
- Serve as liaison with colleges and departments
- Assist with visibility of TRIO Programs for the SSS program
- Monitors and maintains all student records.
- Recommends, develops, assesses and modifies initiatives to enhance student success
- Monitors program student intake process and policy and procedures
- Conduct monthly staff meetings
- Implement case management procedures
- Advises, counsels and monitors the progress of a minimum of 10 program participants.
- Provides accurate information relating to all majors in the various colleges
- Assists students with course selection, registration, academic plans, major changes and understanding academic policies and procedures.
- Assists with the development and implementation of assessment efforts of the advising, tutoring, writing, math and study skills components
- Conducts formative and summative evaluations
- Prepares and submits progress and end of the semester reports
- Assists with the development of data, reports and summaries for the Student Support Services Program
- Develop, plan and conduct program workshops
- Attend professional meetings, conferences and workshops and perform committee assignments as approved by the Director
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, practices and activities of TRIO or similar programs
- Demonstrated working knowledge in servicing students with low-income and first generation backgrounds
- Knowledge of university student information systems such as CICS, CSS, Blackboard or similar databases
- Knowledge of principles and methods of organizational and personnel management
- Ability to supervise staff and student support staff (Peer Tutors and student office staff)
- Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for student and assists in achieving the University’s core values
A Master's degree in education, higher education, counseling, or a related area required. Successful candidate must have Master’s degree conferred at the time of application.
Also, the following experience is required
- Three years’ experience with TRIO Programs (i.e. Upward Bound, Talent Search, Ron E. McNair Foundation, Student Support Services, etc.) or related programs
- Two years’ supervisory experience
- Two years’ experience in higher education to include program management, assessment/reporting, budgeting
- Two years’ advising experience in a post-secondary education environment
Grant Funded, Full-time administrative staff position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Administrative pay grade 355. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: February 1, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.