Assistant Vice President for Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving
The Assistant Vice President for Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving will lead and manage the Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving teams, including strategic development and implementation of programs, services and other initiatives that effectively develop, promote and nurture relationships between the university and its alumni and interested constituents, leading to life-long involvement with and support of BGSU. Serves as an enthusiastic ambassador for external constituents in the role of Executive Director for BGSU Alumni Association Board, coordinating and leading engagement of this volunteer Board with the University. Collaborates with University Advancement, college and unit colleagues to proactively plan and implement activities and university events - such as Academy of Distinguished Alumni, Homecoming and Family Weekend programs, BGSU One Day, affinity group and regional gatherings, and other initiatives as identified - to increase the level of individual engagement and financial commitment of donors. Leads, coaches and evaluates the Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving team, and performance of direct reports.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Leadership of Alumni Engagement strategy and activity. Leads and oversees Alumni Engagement team, working with the Director of Alumni Engagement, in designing creative strategies to increase engagement and participation among all constituents, including affinity groups and regional networks. Leads and supports activities and meetings of the BGSU Alumni Association Board, including public speaking at alumni events. Ensures successful coordination of alumni and constituent engagement efforts within University Advancement and across all colleges and units. Develops performance metrics and ensures accountability.
- Leadership of Annual Giving strategy and activity. Leads and oversees Annual Giving team, working with the Director of Annual Giving, in developing effective strategies to increase participation and giving through a variety of communication methods. Supports coordination of annual giving solicitation efforts within University Advancement and across all colleges and units, including collaboration with fundraisers, Deans, department chairs and program directors to support fundraising priorities. Develops performance metrics and ensures accountability.
- Volunteer liaison and support. Staffs and provides guidance to the BGSU Alumni Association Board, a key volunteer group that provides input on alumni engagement, annual giving plans and initiatives, and whose members participate directly in various alumni programs and events. Work closely with Alumni Board Chair and Executive Committee to develop strategic meeting agendas.
- Strategic Collaboration. Actively participates in internal and external events and key meetings, promoting the University’s alumni engagement and annual giving programs and alumni accomplishments, and encouraging philanthropic support for BGSU’s fundraising priorities.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Experience in a results-oriented service environment.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in engagement and fundraising, including understanding of the donor cycle, benchmarking and metrics.
- Supervisory experience at a management level.
- Experience with CRM systems, such as Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT
- A solid understanding of the BGSU institutional mission and strategy, academic and administrative planning and decision-making processes, policies and procedures would be an asset.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication; demonstrated presentation skills.
- Effective leadership, management of cross-functional teams, and team building skills; ability to coach and motivate others; consensus builder.
- Empathetic listening skills; ability to thoughtfully consider the perspective of constituents and colleagues.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to successfully work with volunteers, donors, staff and campus constituents.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritizing multiple deadlines and tight time constraints.
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills.
- Experience developing and managing departmental budgets.
- Able to handle confidential and sensitive information.
Bachelor’s degree required. Degree must be conferred at the time of application. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and comply with the University’s vehicle use policy.
The following experience is required:
- 8 years direct experience in higher-education, non-profit work or related fields,
- 2 years direct supervisory experience
- 2 years of project management experience.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Pay Grade 361. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by ‘November 18, 2022’.
Why work at BGSU?
Full-time BGSU employees enjoy an array of exceptional benefits, including:
- Quality, affordable health insurance: Various coverage options available for health, vision and dental starting the first day of the month following your date of employment.
- Generous paid time off: Vacation, holidays, sick days and more.
- Excellent work life balance resources: Our Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support to employees and their eligible family members, along with ancillary programs covering identity theft, elder care, legal services and more.
- Tuition fee waivers: For eligible employees, spouses and dependent children.
- Professional development opportunities: For skills training, supervisor and leadership programs, performance management, online courses and online tools for employee growth and development.
- Parental leave: Up to five weeks of paid parental leave for full-time employees with at least 12 months of continuous service.
- Retirement: BGSU offers several options for meeting your retirement goals with a current employer contribution of up to 14% depending on the retirement program selected. Read More about the option that best fits your needs.
Learn more about Bowling Green State University and how we aspire to be the preeminent public university that creates public good in Ohio, the nation and world.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.