Assistant Vice President for Development
The Assistant Vice President of Development will advance the mission of Bowling Green State University through leadership and management of major gift fundraising teams for colleges and units, gift planning and corporate & foundation relations to increase philanthropic gifts in support of BGSU fundraising priorities. The Assistant Vice President will work closely with the Vice President, University Advancement colleagues, major gift fundraisers, Deans, and other campus leaders to plan, coordinate and execute prospective donor assessment, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies. Additionally, the Assistant Vice President will manage a portfolio of major and principal gift prospects, focusing on gifts of $500,000 and above.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Prospect Strategy and Management: Lead focused and effective major gift prospect strategy development, in collaboration with the Vice President and University Advancement senior leadership, major gift fundraisers, Deans and campus unit leaders, and the President. Ensure staff compliance with prospect management best practices. Monitor and track progress of academic and other unit fundraising activities and priorities. Oversee development of written proposals and gift agreements.
- Staff Management: Provide essential leadership, mentorship, coaching and guidance to the major gifts staff, including Senior Directors of Development, Directors of Development, Senior Director of Gift Planning and administrative support. Develop a culture of goal achievement and accountability through annual action plans and performance metrics, monitoring and tracking performance progress, regularly reviewing portfolio management and activity, and supporting professional development opportunities.
- Personal Prospect Portfolio Management: In consultation with the Vice President, develop portfolio of major and principal gift prospects, establish performance metrics, and implement activity to increase philanthropic support from alumni and friends for prioritized fundraising goals.
- Communication: Collaborate with Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving, Donor Relations and Stewardship, and Advancement Services teams to enhance the University’s engagement of donors and prospective donors through contact and event coordination. Serve as staff liaison to the BGSU Foundation Board Development Committee.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Proven success in closing major gifts.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in fundraising, including understanding of the donor cycle, benchmarking and metrics.
- Supervisory experience at a management level.
- Experience in a results-oriented service environment.
- Experience with CRM systems, such as Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT
- A solid understanding of the BGSU institutional mission and strategy, academic and administrative planning and decision-making processes, policies and procedures would be an asset.
- Excellent leadership, coaching, mentoring and decision-making skills.
- Proven ability to successfully work with donors, staff and campus colleagues.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication; demonstrated presentation skills.
- Effective leadership, management of cross-functional teams, and team building skills; ability to coach and motivate others; consensus builder.
- Empathetic listening skills; ability to thoughtfully consider the perspective of constituents and colleagues.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to successfully work with volunteers, donors, staff and campus constituents.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritizing multiple deadlines and tight time constraints.
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills.
- Experience developing and managing departmental budgets.
- Able to handle confidential and sensitive information.
Bachelor’s degree required. Degree must be conferred at the time of application. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and comply with the University’s vehicle use policy.
The following experience is required:
- 8 years of direct development/major gift or related sales experience.
- 3 years of leadership experience, including staff supervision, coaching and/or mentoring; sales/fundraising management; and/or program/department management experience.
- 3 years’ experience with planning, launching and implementing fundraising efforts in support of specific initiatives or overall strategic objectives.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Pay Grade 361. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by ‘November 28, 2022’.
Why work at BGSU?
Full-time BGSU employees enjoy an array of exceptional benefits, including:
- Quality, affordable health insurance: Various coverage options available for health, vision and dental starting the first day of the month following your date of employment.
- Generous paid time off: Vacation, holidays, sick days and more.
- Excellent work life balance resources: Our Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support to employees and their eligible family members, along with ancillary programs covering identity theft, elder care, legal services and more.
- Tuition fee waivers: For eligible employees, spouses and dependent children.
- Professional development opportunities: For skills training, supervisor and leadership programs, performance management, online courses and online tools for employee growth and development.
- Parental leave: Up to five weeks of paid parental leave for full-time employees with at least 12 months of continuous service.
- Retirement: BGSU offers several options for meeting your retirement goals with a current employer contribution of up to 14% depending on the retirement program selected. Read More about the option that best fits your needs.
Learn more about Bowling Green State University and how we aspire to be the preeminent public university that creates public good in Ohio, the nation and world.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.