Conference and Event Services Specialist
The Conference & Event Services (C&ES) Specialist facilitates the scheduling, coordination and on-site management of events in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union (BTSU) and additional event spaces. Primary hours for this position are from 11am-8pm Monday-Friday with event coverage as needed nights and weekends. This position will manage university and public events on the Bowling Green State University campus and work with many university departments and community partners to ensue exceptional customer service is provided. As a member C&ES Team, the Specialist is prepared to assist all team members as needed, and to direct the student support team to help support the numerous events that occur on a given day.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Serves as Event Planner managing all aspects of events he/she is assigned such as conferences, seminars, workshops and banquets held in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union (BTSU) and additional event spaces across the BGSU campus. This includes participation in planning meetings with existing and potential clients to ensure that strong communication leads to successful event/program execution. The employee must be onsite to check with and sometimes stay throughout the majority of the event(s) they are scheduled to manage, which includes early morning, evening and weekend hours.
- Serves in a support role to help cover the overall C&ES operation alongside additional staff, which includes some rotational coverage as the acting Manager on Duty.
- Works in collaboration with the C&ES Manager and the BTSU management team to develop and implement strategies to attract and retain both university and non-university clients. Collaborates with clients and appropriate university departments to improve customer service and the overall image of the operation.
- Works diligently to become an expert with our event management system (EMS), which is used to facilitate the logistics of events and is the framework for our billing process. Upon the completion of each event this individual manages, he/she must be able to deliver a comprehensive bill and understand all aspects of the billing process through collections.
- Understands existing policies and procedures to ensure that appropriate University, C&ES and BTSU policies and procedures are implemented and followed. Helps in the review process of all such policies and procedures to strengthen them on an on-going basis.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Multitasking abilities
- Supervisory experience
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Strong working knowledge of computer operations in both Mac and PC format
- Experience with designing and implementing room arrangements for meetings and events
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service
- Excellent organizational abilities
- Evidence of ability to solve problems and to resolve conflict quickly and efficiently when it occurs
Bachelor's Degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred in business administration, hospitality management, marketing, or related field. Degree must be conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- 3 months customer service experience
- Graduate assistantship experience will be accepted on a half time basis. For example: 1-year GA/GS experience equals 6 months of full-time experience
- 1-year event management experience;
- 1-year experience with room reservation systems
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 353. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.