Geospatial TechnicianBGSU Office of Human Resources
Manage, expand and improve Bowling Green State University’s Geospatial Information that consists of an Enterprise Geographic Information System and Web Applications to serve information out to campus users. Geospatial datasets include campus base map, all campus subsurface utility systems and tunnels, landscaping, and artwork, and in development datasets include all campus building floorplans, space use and utilization, and life safety equipment. Manage the Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) for the University and perform all utility locating for subsurface utility systems.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage, expand and improve Bowling Green State University’s Geospatial Information that consists of the Enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) and Web Applications to serve information out to campus users. Geospatial datasets include all campus buildings, artwork, base map, all campus subsurface utility systems (including high voltage primary and secondary electric, natural gas, fire and domestic water, sanitary and storm sewers, steam and condensate, fiber optic data and communications, chilled water and irrigation) and tunnels. Implement a project to expand GIS to include all indoor space datasets that consist all building floorplans, space type, use and utilization, ITS infrastructure, life safety equipment, and evacuation plans. Create web application to serve out indoor data to university personnel for awareness of current conditions, to identify vacant and underutilized spaces, and to improve university space management practices. Link GIS data sets to campus space database, space utilization and scheduling database, document management database, maintenance database, and ITS infrastructure database. Implement improvement strategies to current GIS system to better collect, organize and serve out data sets to campus customers. Create custom maps and drawings utilizing geotechnical data sets and cartography skills as requested by campus department personnel. Solve software problems, and provide user support for campus personnel utilizing the system.
- Manage and serve as the university’s representative for the Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) for Bowling Green State University as required by ORC Sec. 3781.28. Satisfy regulatory requirements and ensure compliance with the law for university response to notices including timeliness criteria, mandated communications, technical evaluation, and field work where required. Responsible for each notice being handled through closure. Implement OUPS i-dig to minimize no conflict tickets, save time and better locate OUPS marking areas. Submit tickets for marking for internal university department activities such as landscaping, tent erection and excavation. Evaluate process and respond to OUPS requests. Field mark all BGSU owned subsurface utilities (including high voltage primary and secondary electric, natural gas, fire and domestic water, sanitary and storm sewers, steam and condensate, fiber optic data and communications, chilled water and irrigation) and tunnels utilizing GIS mapping data and utility tracing and locating equipment. Utilities must be accurately marked within a 48 hour time frame. Respond to requests from Architects/Engineers to identify and document existing conditions and locations of subsurface utilities. Develop working relationship with City of Bowling Green Municipal Utilities, Columbia Gas, Frontier Communications, Spectrum, and other utility services in the campus footprint.
- Track subsurface utility installation. Inspect installation at project site and assist contractor in locating utilities to mitigate mistakes that cause increased project costs, utility damage and service interruptions. GPS survey, photograph and document all new and existing subsurface utilities. At project close out perform subsurface utility punch list and final inspection.
- Manage, expand and improve Bowling Green State University’s Interactive Campus Map which is served out through the BGSU website to all students, faculty, staff, visitors and the general public. Expand the campus maps role as a recruitment and promotional tool. Maintain accuracy of the Campus map as it is relied upon by the university community as a navigation tool. Coordinate with BGSU Marketing and Communications department to utilize for major events such as Move-In and Presidents Day.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas, whether to other technical peers or non-technical personnel
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with the ability to think quickly
- Ability to work independently
- Strong time management skills and organizational skills
- Subsurface utility knowledge and utility protection marking experience
- GPS and GIS field data collection
Bachelor's Degree required in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Environmental Science, or related field. Successful candidate must have Bachelor’s degree conferred at the time of application. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and comply with the university’s vehicle use policy.
The following experience is required:
- 1 year using Geographic Information System (GIS) related technology
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: June 24, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.