The primary function of this position is to manage the daily operations related to Teaching, Research, and Outreach activities associated with the Department of Biology greenhouse facilities, the Ecological Research Station off-campus facility, and the Department’s Environmental Chambers used for grant-funded research. This position also assists with departmental operations associated with the servicing of vehicles used for off-campus teaching and research activities as well as maintenance and coordination of research, teaching, and outreach activities at BGSU Steidtman Woods Reserve.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Manage Greenhouse environmental conditions associated with the plant teaching collection, experiential projects associated with introductory biology courses (BIOL 1040, BIOL 2040), outreach plant demonstrations, and grant-funded faculty experimental research projects.
- Coordinate use of greenhouse facilities and resources with research PIs, assisting both graduate faculty and graduate students in their development of grant-funded research projects.
- Perform greenhouse maintenance inside and outside of the Greenhouse Facility, including annual spraying of shading to the exterior of the greenhouse as well as monitoring (and treating when necessary) plants for pests and pathogens through integrated pest management practices.
- Coordinate and schedule outreach greenhouse tours for on and off campus groups, including K-12 students, BGSU undergraduates, and members of the local community. Coordinate communications and scheduling of volunteer groups and individuals.
- Coordinate and manage teaching and research activities that involve field operations/experiments performed at the Ecological Research Station. These include assisting instructional faculty, graduate faculty, and graduate students with teaching experiences, outreach activities, and research experiments.
- Coordinate maintenance and research, teaching, and outreach activities at BGSU Steidtman Woods Reserve.
- Coordinate maintenance of the department’s Environmental Chambers used for grant-funded research.
- Assist with departmental operations associated with the servicing of vehicles used for off-campus teaching and research activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Knowledge or experience in plant sciences, botany, horticulture, or related field
- Experience in greenhouse operations and management
- Pest management applicator’s license or the willingness to acquire a pest management applicator’s license within 6 months of employment
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Must be able to use scissors, pruners, hand saws, hoses and other small tools
The following Degree is required:
- Master's Degree in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, or Horticulture. Degree must be conferred at time of application.
The following Experience is required:
- 1 year - Research experience in the field of Biological Sciences
Full-time Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by ‘November 24, 2023’.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information, please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.
Why work at BGSU?
Full-time BGSU employees enjoy an array of exceptional benefits, including:
- Quality, affordable health insurance: Various coverage options available for health, vision and dental starting the first day of the month following your date of employment.
- Generous paid time off: Vacation, holidays, sick days and more.
- Excellent work life balance resources: Our Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support to employees and their eligible family members, along with ancillary programs covering identity theft, elder care, legal services and more.
- Tuition fee waivers: For eligible employees, spouses and dependent children.
- Professional development opportunities: For skills training, supervisor and leadership programs, performance management, online courses and online tools for employee growth and development.
- Parental leave: Up to five weeks of paid parental leave for full-time employees with at least 12 months of continuous service.
- Retirement: BGSU offers several options for meeting your retirement goals with a current employer contribution of up to 14% depending on the retirement program selected. Read more about the option that best fits your needs.
Learn more about Bowling Green State University and how we aspire to be the preeminent public university that creates public good in Ohio, the nation and world.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/bgsu or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.