The position is responsible for providing academic support primarily for students enrolled in the Falcon Learning Your Way (FLY) Program, a program that assists students with specific learning disabilities and/or ADHD. The professional Tutor is responsible for responding to the specific academic needs of students, facilitating self-management skills, as well as supporting students learning. The professional Tutor meets student needs by providing math instruction, tutoring services, assistance with assignments, problem solving, and test preparation.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide and document tutoring and academic support initiatives designed to support students participating in the Falcon Learning Your Way (FLY) Program, including establishing specific times and dates of availability for tutoring sessions for both individuals and groups and in multiple modalities to review principles, solve problems, review for tests, provide counsel on math and test anxiety concerns, and develop math, study, and other academic skills.
- Create and deliver periodic workshops, test preps, exam reviews, and other academic support programing for specific courses, including participation in special events.
- Observe student performance and communicate relevant information to Learning Specialists, The Learning Commons staff, Faculty, and other campus constituents.
- Provide visiting students and families (virtually or in-person) an introduction to the coaching and tutoring services offered to students by The Learning Commons.
- Pursue professional development opportunities and serve as a tutoring mentor for student tutors who tutor in the same academic subject areas.
- Support other services provided by The Learning Commons as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Willingness to work with students, staff, and faculty in a collaborative and supportive manner
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment with a very diverse population
- Demonstrated innovation and creativity in developing services and tutoring strategies that best meet the needs of students
- Mathematic knowledge in the areas of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus-based statistics
- Computer literacy including word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Knowledge of teaching and learning skills and strategies
- Knowledge of tutoring processes and methods
- Knowledge of ADAAA/Section 504
- Proficiency preparing tutoring and instructional aids and plans
The following Degree is required:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree must be conferred at the time of application.
The following Degree is preferred:
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Actuarial Science, Mathematics Education, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, Business, or related STEM field.
The following Experience is required:
- 1 year of tutoring or teaching experience in an academic setting or in educational services providing direct support and services to Pre-K through 12 students and/or adults.
- 2 years of experience as a GA or student employee is equal to 1 year of professional experience
Full-time Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 352. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: February 23, 2024
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.
Why work at BGSU?
Full-time BGSU employees enjoy an array of exceptional benefits, including:
- Quality, affordable health insurance: Various coverage options available for health, vision and dental starting the first day of the month following your date of employment.
- Generous paid time off: Vacation, holidays, sick days and more.
- Excellent work life balance resources: Our Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support to employees and their eligible family members, along with ancillary programs covering identity theft, elder care, legal services and more.
- Tuition fee waivers: For eligible employees, spouses and dependent children.
- Professional development opportunities: For skills training, supervisor and leadership programs, performance management, online courses and online tools for employee growth and development.
- Parental leave: Up to five weeks of paid parental leave for full-time employees with at least 12 months of continuous service.
- Retirement: BGSU offers several options for meeting your retirement goals with a current employer contribution of up to 14% depending on the retirement program selected. Read more about the option that best fits your needs.
Learn more about Bowling Green State University and how we aspire to be the preeminent public university that creates public good in Ohio, the nation and world.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/bgsu or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.