Program Coordinator, Military Student ServicesBGSU Office of Human Resources
Program Coordinator, Military Student Services
Nontraditional & Military Student Services
The Program Coordinator is part of the team within Nontraditional and Military Student Services (NTMSS) and works collaboratively with the broad team of professional academic advising staff at the University. Under the direction of the immediate supervisor and in accordance with university academic advising strategies, the Program Coordinator provides essential support and service to military students and contributes to the university’s goals of promoting student learning, development, and success, as well as student persistence and timely graduation. The Program Coordinator is responsible as part of the advising process to assist military students with their transition to BGSU including understanding military benefits.
Among the primary responsibilities of the Program Coordinator are to provide comprehensive academic advising and degree planning guidance to military students, and this person is responsible for the military orientation program, military peer mentoring program, military tutoring activities and coordinating the Downing Military Student Center. Additionally, this staff member will participate and assist with military recruitment and retention efforts, serve on university committees, and participate in university training and development.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide individual academic and pre-admission advising through personal and/or at-a-distance (phone, web, e-mail, Skype) consultation with military and veteran students interested in pursuing higher education. Assist prospective military students at the point of entry to avail themselves of all resources leading to successful degree completion.
- Provide advising, enrollment and course registration assistance to continuing military students.
- Represent Bowling Green State University and NTMSS at advising and recruitment events at military bases. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with military services staff at community colleges to positively impact seamless transferability for military students to BGSU.
- Coordinate NTMSS transition programming and integrate NTMSS events with appropriate campus-wide activities and registration processes; coordinate the PAVE Peer mentoring program
- Coordinate the Downing Military and Veteran Student Center to support student success. This includes coordinating the Downing Scholars and the Downing student support activities
- Assist in the development, implementation, and compilation of data to assess and evaluate the activities of NTMSS. Complete reports and materials.
- Serve as an affiliate and liaison to Enrollment Management offices to foster collaboration, information sharing, and policy support especially for the Thompson Military Scholarship.
- Serve as an advocate within the university and local community for military student populations.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Familiarity with the characteristics and challenges of military and veterans, nontraditional, transfer, and commuter students.
- Creative problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills
- Desire to work cooperatively as part of a team
- Understanding of the functions of an institution of higher education, including academic and student affairs
- Knowledge of degree programs offered at BGSU is helpful
- Knowledge of University academic policies and procedures as well as support services
- Knowledge of computer applications including but not limited to: Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, People Soft/CSS, an ability to learn and adopt other technologies, and comfort level to use computer database, word processing, spreadsheet programs and web-based applications
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Active listening skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to interact well with students, parents, faculty, administrators and other members of the campus and community
- Knowledge of developmental advising strategies
- Knowledge of or ability to learn student development theories and career development theory
- Compassionate and caring attitude toward working with students
- Effective in working with diverse populations
- Prior military service helpful but not required
- Other duties as assigned
Master's Degree required preferably in College Student Personnel, Counseling, Communication or related field. Successful candidate must have Master’s degree conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- 1-2 years of experience working with the military
- Experience in an educational role, such as advising, student support services office or direct student contact.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: June 7, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.