Project Coordinator Campus Planning
This position is responsible for managing and improving key processes in the Campus Planning department including Design Standards, Document Management, Capital Planning Management database, State Fire Marshal’s inspections, Professional Services Contracts, Master Project Schedule, and Process Improvement. Position will have the responsibility for conducting research, industry benchmarking, and managing effective meetings that drive decisions, to determine creative and innovative solutions.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for Professional Services Contracts for project design, studies, and construction management services (including Construction Manager at Risk and Design Build) performed by Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Management firms. Utilizing Ohio Facilities Construction Commission (OFCC) contract template or BGSU contract template, coordinate with contracting firm and BGSU Project Manager, and refer to Project Technical Proposal to gather all required information including negotiated fee to complete contract. Also gather and verify for completeness and accuracy all other required contract attachment documents. Forward contract package to BGSU purchasing department, Vice President of Finance and Administration, General Council Office and OFCC office for review, signatures, approval and processing. Timely creation and processing of contract documents is critical in keeping construction projects on schedule and within budget. Maintain and improve electronic documentation and processing (signatures, approvals, etc.) to streamline and shorten processing time.
- BGSU liaison for State Fire Marshal’s Office Inspection process for construction projects with life safety fire related items such as fire alarms systems, fire suppression systems, and sprinkler systems installation or modification. Schedule fire inspections and if necessary, re-inspections with State Fire Marshal’s Office and Contractor, and identify scope of project to determine length of inspection. Notify BGSU Campus Operations personnel, BGSU Project Managers and City of Bowling Green Fire Division Fire Chief of inspection progress. Archive inspection records, review invoices and forward for payment, and maintain log of inspections.
- Manage and maintain the Capital Planning Management data that consists of facility condition assessment information for campus buildings. This software provides reports for summarizing the data in support of development of ProForma for each Facility’s capital investment, maintenance and repair for use by campus departments that manage the buildings. This information will also be utilized by Campus Master Planners to determine where capital budget expenditures will be allocated and to determine if a building will be renovated, demolished, or kept as-is. A workflow needs developed to perform building inspections, and to identify building improvements from construction projects and maintenance work orders to ensure the database is kept up to date and accurate.
- Develop, Manage and Maintain Master Project Schedule. There is a need for a master project schedule for assigning projects to Project Managers, identifying potential conflicts, analyzing overall department workload, and to share schedule information with upper administration and other campus departments. No master schedule currently exists so it needs to be developed and verified that it meets the needs of all users. Schedule will consist of planning, design, construction, close out and warranty timelines for all BGSU construction projects. Coordinate with Project Managers to capture any changes during the project to ensure schedule is up to date and accurate.
- Coordinate with Project Managers, Design Consultants and Contractors to ensure project close out documentation is received correctly and in a timely manner. This is the documentation that is used to maintain a building throughout its life span and is essential to the University as the owner. Analyze the documentation received to verify it is complete and meets our standards. Notify them of omissions and corrections that need made and track progress to be sure all corrections are received. Write and update close out standards to ensure they are keeping up with the latest campus needs and industry standards.
- Responsible for Developing, implementing and maintaining a document management system to organize current Project Files and to archive Project Files for completed projects. Project files consist of procurement documents, correspondence, meeting notes, submittals, permits, testing reports, certificates of occupancy, budget information, construction photos, etc. Currently project information is stored in various locations such as paper format, electronic format, and on various document management systems. A single document management solution for storing this documentation needs selected and implemented. Documentation needs to be easily available for project reference and research, and to fulfill public records requests.
- Manage and maintain the Construction Standards utilized by consultants and contractors to provide consistency in project delivery, financial responsibility, maintainability, and provide the best quality finish product for end users. Categories of standards include Electrical, Interior Design, Plumbing, Mechanical, ITS, Fire Protection, Energy Management, Interior Building Signage, Landscaping, etc. Analyze current standards and add and update where needed. This process will include researching industry trends and benchmarking with similar institutions to find creative and innovative solutions. Meetings with Campus Planning, Campus Construction and Campus Operations personnel will be managed to present solutions and drive decisions. Standards will then be updated with clear and concise descriptions and graphics if necessary. Maintain standards going forward as industry trends change and university needs vary.
- Process Improvement – analyze all current project management workflow and facilitate meetings with Campus Planning, Campus Construction and Campus Operations personnel to determine where processes can be improved. Improvements will be identified, and new methods will be researched and benchmarked with similar institutions to determine the best solution balancing project schedule, budget and quality. Manage meetings with Campus Planning, Campus Construction and Campus Operations personnel to present solutions and drive decisions. Clearly document new process and make available to the required personnel. End result to be shortened project schedules, lower project cost, improved project management efficiency, and improved product delivered to end users.
- Manage the Document Management system that contains all the documentation for entire campus infrastructure that provides access to small scale, building and project drawings, specification books, and operation and maintenance manuals for 130 users in various campus departments. Develop a process to provide access into the document management system for design consultants and contractors to download what they require for the projects they are implementing. Provide training to users and implement upgrades and improvements to the software and database. Investigate ways to further improve delivery of this information to save end users time and money.
- Custom Maps and Signage – Create custom maps utilizing graphics software for internal department use and for any other campus departments with mapping needs. Create updated graphic signage when campus departments are relocated or when any other updates are needed. Research latest mapping technology to verify BGSU is keeping up with latest industry trends. Coordinate all mapping and signage standards with Marketing and Communications department.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Ability to effectively manage meetings to drive decisions
- Effective research and benchmarking against similar institutions
- Develop and present creative and innovative solutions
- Work independently
- Excellent communication
- Organizational skills
- Think strategically
- Strong time management skills
- Effective problem solving.
Bachelor’s degree required. Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Architecture or Business preferred. Degree must be conferred at the time of application. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and comply with the university’s vehicle use policy.
The following experience is required:
- 3 months experience in one of the following areas: construction, design, project or document coordination/management. 6 months graduate internship experience will also be accepted.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Pay Grade 355. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by ‘August 4, 2022’.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, flexible work options, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.