Residence Hall DirectorBGSU Office of Human Resources
RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTOR
Office of Residence Life
Bowling Green State University
The Residence Hall Director facilitates daily operations of a residence hall housing between 300 to 1000 students and is responsible for creating a diverse, academically conducive, secure and healthy residential community while providing intentional programming to assist with the psychosocial development needs of students and implementing the learning outcomes of the University and the Division of Student Affairs. In addition, Residence Hall Directors oversee the operations of the residence hall, facilitate an educational student conduct process, and supervise part-time, graduate, and undergraduate staff.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
· Education and Academic Success - Assist with student retention, transition, and academic success. Create academically-focused residential environments that support student success, including the support of learning and theme communities, serve as a student conduct hearing officer with emphasis placed on educational behavioral outcomes. When appropriate, refers high-level offenses to the Office of the Dean of Students. Integrate diversity education within community development programming initiatives. Teach an accredited RA Training Course and/or similar. Provide a designated level of academic advising support to students in collaboration with respective advising offices. Provide a basic, designated level of career development and exploration in collaboration with Career Services.
· Supervision and Recruitment of Staff - Supervise and evaluate staff that include: graduate assistant(s), resident advisors, and student desk managers. Recruit and train 9-22 resident advisors, 1-2 graduate assistant(s), a student desk manager, and desk workers as applicable. Coordinate and facilitate a weekly staff meetings and weekly one-on-one meetings with staff.
· Student Issues, Hall Safety and Crisis Management - Respond to emergencies, crisis situations, and student issues. Serve as a liaison with Facilities Services to ensure safety, maintenance and appearance of the residence hall. Participate in a rotating, year-round duty schedule that addresses situations as appropriate. Counsel students to support their personal, academic, and emotional well-being as needed. Collaborate with campus partners for referrals as needed to support students in their holistic development.
· Programming, Leadership, and Community Development - Coordinate and implement community development and educational activities within the residence hall through supervision of student staff. Develop a community development plan for the residence hall by coordinating educational and developmental programs and activities. Coordinate and implement a departmental sponsored, campus-wide project assignments. Advise the residence hall student council and support overall student leadership development efforts. Continually evaluate and assess programming and community development efforts through formal and informal assessments. Support high-profile, campus events that include opening week, homecoming week, family weekend, sibs and kids weekend, athletic events, and preview days.
· Administrative - Assist with BGSU and Residence Life student recruitment efforts. Assist with occupancy management. Perform administrative tasks and procedures in support of residence hall and departmental functioning. Serve as a guest and conference services point-person during summer conference season. Develop residence hall budget to include purchasing, categorizing and reconciling/entering/reporting financial statement. Serve on division-wide and/or departmental committees in consultation with supervisor.
· Fulfill other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
Candidate would benefit from a knowledge of college student development theory. Experience presenting or facilitating workshops and training sessions. Knowledge or experience of supervision practice and theory. Experience working with a student conduct process. Knowledge of residence hall or housing operations and procedures. A knowledge or understanding of residential learning communities. The ability to make sound judgments about safety. The ability to make referrals to other office or agencies. Excellent interpersonal and written communication and administrative skills and a demonstrated desire to work with diverse individuals and groups. Basic computer skills, budget management skills, and creative problem solving.
Master’s Degree* in College Student Personal, Higher Education or related field required.
The following experience is also required:
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience
- 1-2 years of student conduct experience
- 1-2 years of general residence life or housing experience
- 1-2 years of crisis management or participation and or on-call rotation
*Successful candidate must have Master’s degree conferred and official transcripts indicating such before his/her start date
Residence Hall Director is a full-time, 12-month, live-in administrative staff position. Base salary is approximately $32,000 and includes housing accommodations and meal plan. Staff housing accommodations (valued at $10,000) will be provided during the 12-month period of employment (2019-2020 fiscal year). All utilities including water, heat, electricity, basic telephone service, internet connection, and cable service are provided at no additional cost. Employment typically begins on July 1* and extends through June 30. Typically there is a four year limit of service as a Residence Hall Director. This recruitment is for multiple full time positions, full benefit package is available.
*Anticipated start date: July 1, 2019
Deadline to apply: February 25, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.