Senior Administrative Secretary
Work Schedule: Full-time position working Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Position Summary: Provides high level administrative support to the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and the College’s academic units and programs. Relieves the Dean of non-routine administrative tasks, many of them confidential in nature. Serves as liaison between the Dean and internal and external constituents. Prepares written and oral communications. Maintains and monitors the Dean's calendar/schedule. Researches and provides information to the Dean.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Independently relieves the Dean of routine and non-routine administrative tasks and serves as liaison for the Dean with faculty, staff and others. Assumes responsibility for the relative day-to-day office operations, including responding to and preparing correspondence, greeting visitors and directing incoming mail and phone calls.
- Develops, translates, or independently composes correspondence (e.g., emails, memoranda, and professional letters). Edits and proofreads documents, composed materials, and correspondence prior to distribution. Communicates decisions and directives to staff.
- Preserves and maintains sensitive documentation and archives as appropriate. Researches information and provides it to the College’s academic units and programs as well as to other administrator(s).
- Discreetly screens and handles confidential and sensitive phone calls and independently resolves complaints or redirects to appropriate parties, if necessary. Works closely with staff from other University offices (e.g., President and Provost office, General Counsel, other College Dean's offices, etc.).
- Manages the Dean’s travel, from making arrangements to submitting travel reimbursements.
- May coordinate student employment for the office and monitors student employment budget.
- May order parking, identification, keys, alarm codes, name tags and signage for new staff in the College office.
- Coordinates the Dean’s calendar and schedules appointments. Researches and generates reports for the Dean's meetings. Coordinates meeting arrangements and communicates information to others as appropriate. Plans executive meetings, records and posts minutes as appropriate, assembles and distributes meeting agendas. Coordinates and assists with a variety of college events.
- May serve on various committees.
- May provide work direction to other staff.
The above statements are not intended to include all responsibilities, duties and skills, but rather to describe the general nature and level of work.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical skills
- Knowledge of basic reading skills
- Ability to carry out verbal and/or written instructions
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and written
- Detailed-oriented and highly accurate
- Ability to work in changing environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to interact effectively with students, faculty and/or staff or the public and represent BGSU appropriately
- Ability to coordinate or lead others in accomplishing work activities
- Knowledge of computer skills, such as MS Office, presentations, spreadsheets and/or database entry/query
- Ability to query, run reports and modify data in financial systems
- Ability to access and maintain document imaging systems, including scanning and filing documents
- Ability to operate computers and peripheral equipment such as printers
- Ability to draft office correspondence
- Ability to effectively utilize audio/visual equipment
- One to two years related experience required; must include progressive administrative experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
Full-time, Classified staff position available. The hiring range for this position is $19.30 - $21.12, based on previous experience. Full benefit package available.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.