Senior Financial Accountant – Debt, Bond, Capital Assets, Major ProjectsBGSU Office of Human Resources
Senior Financial Accountant – Debt, Bond, Capital Assets, Major Projects
The Senior Financial Accountant performs analytical review, reconciliation and compliance monitoring of financial information, provides guidance and instruction to financial accountants, assists in preparation of monthly financial reports and annual financial statements, and performs key reconciliation processes required by both external auditors and bond covenants. This position is directly responsible for maintaining and reconciling over $1B in capital assets, $53M in Construction In Progress and $320M in Long Term Debt and Other Obligations. This position will maintain oversight and reporting on bond proceed use and drawdowns, working in conjunction with and ultimately providing guidance to Design and Construction on Capital Project accounting and recommendations to the University senior finance staff on bond proceeds.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Responsible for maintaining fixed asset, bond proceed and capital projects accounting records:
- Assure proper accounting of fixed asset additions and disposals.
- Assure accuracy of depreciation calculations.
- Oversee the annual equipment inventories throughout the University
- Prepare monthly journal entries as they relate to the fixed asset records.
- Reconcile fixed asset reports to general ledger.
- In conjunction with Design and Construction, assure accuracy of projects in process and the recording of projects at completion to include providing guidance and to Design and Construction staff as needed.
- Track bond issued and ensure compliance with annual bond market EMMA reporting for all bond issuances.
- Maintain comprehensive records of original, available, encumbered and expensed bond proceeds and associated projects.
- Conduct bi-weekly debt-capital meetings with Senior Treasury, Controller, Budget Office and Capital Planning personnel.
Perform analytical procedures including investigation of unusual transactions or unexpected variances on monthly financial reports. Assure proper accounting procedures are maintained throughout the University.
Assist with monthly closing and related reporting as well as year-end financial statement processing including the annual audit.
- Assist in financial statement preparation in conjunction with University related audits and other external reporting requirements.
- Reconciling and preparing year-end entries.
- Preparation of audit schedules in response to requests by external auditors in their annual audit of the University financial statements.
Assume the functional lead position for the Asset Management module and other PeopleSoft modules as directed.
- Enter and retrieve information, write queries to produce reports.
- Assist in the investigation, documentation, and resolving of Asset Management Module issues.
- Design and engage in comprehensive testing of the fixed asset module as directed during upgrades, patch installs or other related system changes.
- Assist in training new FMS users or current users when new processes exist.
- Assist in developing test scripts, new queries and interfaces as required.
Maintain debt schedules and recording of debt in the accounting records.
- Assure proper accounting of long term and related short term debt in the general ledger.
- Assure accuracy of interest payments and the recording of interest.
- Maintain proper reconciliation of detail debt schedule to the general ledger as well as to the projects authorized by specific bond issuances.
- When necessary, prepare journal entries as they relate to debt and related interest.
- Conduct bi-weekly debt capital meetings with senior managers in the Budget Office, Controllers Office, Treasury and Capital Planning in order to proactively manage the use of bond proceeds against Board authorized project scopes.
Provide support to treasury, foundation, tax and payroll accounting staff among others.
Complete other responsibilities and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Knowledge of GAAP, GASB, FASB, IASB as well as fund accounting principles and the basics of taxation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to analyze and problem solve
- Working knowledge of complex Financial ERP Systems as well as the various business processes and procedures
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, CPA preferred or eligible to sit for CPA exam. Successful candidate must have Bachelor’s degree conferred at the time of application.
Also the following experience is required:
- 4 years of general accounting experience
- 2 years of experience with external or internal audits
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 355. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: January 11, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.