Senior Human Resources Assistant
Works under the general supervision of Director of Student Employment Services (SES). This position serves as a member of the SES team, supporting the goals and objectives of the unit and Academic Operations. The senior human resources assistant has primary responsibility involving daily processes and operations required for the job development, recruitment, selection, and maintenance of student employee and related fiscal records. This position has very little physical contact with students. Provides assistance and training on personnel matters, job development, recruitment, selection, time reporting and record maintenance for students (including graduate assistants). Provides advice to students regarding job search tools, resumes, cover letter and opportunities for employment. Creates and compiles compliance reports. Creates and delivers presentations to various audiences (e.g., students, staff, employers) regarding programs and services provided by BGSU Student Employment Services.
Work Schedule: Full-time position. Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Full benefit package available.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Human Resource Management
- Provides quality assurance for the intake process of new hire paperwork, contract and hourly changes, and terminations.
- Facilitates graduate assistantship award processing, contract preparation, eligibility monitoring, initial payroll processing, and compliance for graduate assistantship stipends. Processes graduate assistant stipends; identifies and troubleshoots problems, handles student and employer concerns, answers student and employer questions.
- Communicates with prospective/current graduate assistants and graduate program personnel to explain graduate assistant contracting and stipend procedures, interpret policies, and address problems and concerns.
- Assists in the development, wage assignment, student employee job classification, and creation campus jobs and job descriptions.
- Assists in the recruitment of student employees by recommending recruitment strategies, and communicating employment policies.
- Prepares comprehensive reports, including statistical and budget data and student and employer feedback.
- Participates in the planning and budgeting for BGSU's annual Summer Job Fair and /or other programs.
- Creates records, verifies, and processes information changes (wages, enrollment in retirement system, employment status, pay rate changes, re-employment, appointment changes, student employee job reclassifications, changes in financial aid status, etc.) and informs employee and supervisor of changes as appropriate.
- Provides training and instruction to small groups and individuals regarding employment policies, practices, and laws; effective use of the student time reporting system (Time and Labor); and the online PeopleSoft student hiring system (eHire).
- Serves as primary point of contact for employer and student questions regarding Time and Labor, eHire, HCM, and student employment policy/procedures; attends employer and agency meetings.
- Makes recommendations for the development and enhancement of policies, processes, procedures, and forms by evaluating efficiency of current business practices and responding to changes in administrative systems, federal and state law, department policy, directives from University officials, and user needs.
- Reviews/edits employer registration, profiles and position descriptions submitted via Handshake.
- Reviews and posts job vacancies on Handshake, activates and deactivates postings.
System Development, Maintenance and Testing
- Makes recommendations for improving efficiency and functionality of systems and systems support. Participates in the design, development and/or customization of systems developed internally; gathers and analyzes data; assembles data and materials for testing and investigation of programs and multi-level databases and their relationship with designated systems in development, testing, and implementation stages.
- Tests systems to ensure validity of systems output. Participates in implementation of systems and system upgrades, scheduling of system activities, and production runs; reviews results for accuracy and completeness.
- Collaborates with the Manager of Payroll, Human Resource administrators, and Information Technology Services staff as needed/directed to resolve individual and systemwide problems.
- Analyzes data, runs reports and creates personnel related reports. Collaborates with other departments and administrator to resolve individual and system-wide problems.
Outreach and Programming
- Represents Student Employment Services and University at recruiting/informational events and programs (e.g., Preview Day, Presidents' Day, Orientation and Registration).
- Participates in the planning and implementation of the annual Summer Job Fair. Coordinates logistics, process employer registrations and invoices for 70+ organizations that attend the Fair annually.
- Coordinates campus arrangements (e.g., facilities use, audio-visual equipment) for employers who want to use campus facilities to engage students and promote their organizations.
This list of essential duties, tasks and responsibilities is not all-inclusive; individual will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical skills
- Knowledge of basic reading skills
- Ability to carry out verbal and/or written instructions
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and written
- Detailed-oriented and highly accurate
- Ability to work in changing environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to interact effectively with students, faculty and/or staff or the public and represent BGSU appropriately
- Ability to coordinate or lead others in accomplishing work activities
- Knowledge of computer skills, such as MS Office, presentations, spreadsheets and/or database entry/query
- Ability to access and maintain document imaging systems, including scanning and filing documents
- Ability to operate computers and peripheral equipment such as printers
- Ability to draft office correspondence
- Ability to maintain sensitive or confidential information
- 1-year related experience required
- High school diploma or GED required
Full-time, Classified staff position available, pay grade 27/$19.78 – $21.64. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by ‘March 6, 2023’.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
Why work at BGSU?
Full-time BGSU employees enjoy an array of exceptional benefits, including:
- Quality, affordable health insurance: Various coverage options available for health, vision and dental starting the first day of the month following your date of employment.
- Generous paid time off: Vacation, holidays, sick days and more.
- Excellent work life balance resources: Our Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support to employees and their eligible family members, along with ancillary programs covering identity theft, elder care, legal services and more.
- Tuition fee waivers: For eligible employees, spouses and dependent children.
- Professional development opportunities: For skills training, supervisor and leadership programs, performance management, online courses and online tools for employee growth and development.
- Parental leave: Up to five weeks of paid parental leave for full-time employees with at least 12 months of continuous service.
- Retirement: BGSU offers several options for meeting your retirement goals with a current employer contribution of up to 14% depending on the retirement program selected. Read More about the option that best fits your needs.
Learn more about Bowling Green State University and how we aspire to be the preeminent public university that creates public good in Ohio, the nation and world.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/bgsu or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.