Senior Library Associate - Materials Maintenance Unit HeadBGSU Office of Human Resources
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Director of Access Services, is responsible for the operation of the Materials Maintenance Unit including oversight of OhioLINK and shelving processes, management, and maintenance. Direct supervisor of student workers, and functionally directs the work of a coworker who functions as a backup. Liaison to the Northwest Ohio Regional Book Depository for circulation and transfer of materials to offsite storage. Supervises circulation during assigned shifts at the desk. May work evening and weekend hours as needed.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Acts as main contact person for all patrons and libraries on hold and OhioLINK policies, procedures, and functions. Responsible for the administration, supervision, and coordination of OhioLINK functions and personnel
- Suggests/recommends unit goals, objectives, procedures, and policies in coordination with the Director of Access Services and assesses those activities
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates Materials and Stacks Maintenance student employees; monitors the student budget, approves timecards for student workers, and suggests a yearly student budget; provides functional guidance to coworkers who assist with maintenance of the physical collection and OhioLINK processes
- Ensures compliance with OhioLINK policies and procedures in regards to lending and borrowing of material; runs regular reports on requested and sent material to ensure proper transfer; liaises with other OhioLINK libraries, couriers, and UL departments on issues with material sent via OhioLINK
- Oversees maintenance of physical collection, ensures accurate placement and presence of material as compared to the catalog; directs searches for missing items and updates catalog to reflect lost items, works with patrons to on items reported as returned or lost; create reports and lists from the ILS in support of UL functions and projects related to the print collection; disposes of print material withdrawn from the library; liaises with the Northwest Ohio Regional Book Depository for circulation and transfer of materials to offsite storage
- Remains current with development in the area of OhioLINK and stacks maintenance through research, conference attendance, and conversation with peers
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Processes lending and document delivery requests using ILL software in compliance with National Interlibrary Loan standards and copyright guidelines
- Uses library databases, WorldCat, and internet resources to locate both electronic and physical material to fulfill requests
- Serves as back up to ILL Unit Head, assisting with borrowing during absences or times of high request volume
- Works with ILL Unit Head to train student workers. Directs the work of ILL students in absence of unit head
- Utilizes Adobe to scan, adjust, and save documents to fulfill requests
- Readies material to be shipped
- Serves as a Circulation Desk Supervisor: Supervises the Jerome Library circulation desk operations during assigned shifts including supervising student employees, and maintaining patron, collection, and building security, and performing circulation problem-solving.
- Implements the policies and procedures of the University Libraries and Access Services, the University, and OhioLINK.
- Opens and closes the Jerome Library building.
- Conducts routine and non-routine circulation transactions
- Acts as public service point for circulating collections, OhioLINK, Reserve, and Interlibrary Loan.
- Facilitates access and security for Special Collections.
- Resolves patron problems and emergencies. Handles building emergencies.
- Conducts financial transactions.
- Issues courtesy cards.
- Responds to patron queries including, but not limited to giving information about the libraries and library materials, problem solving, tracing billing questions, etc.
- Participates in training student employees.
This list of essential duties, tasks and responsibilities is not all-inclusive; individual will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment to and experience in customer service
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency
- Experience with an ILS and/or interpreting bibliographic records
- Knowledge of basic mechanical operations to safely construct and maintain shelving
- Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of users
- Ability to work collegially in a team environment
- Experience in supervising and training
- Flexibility in an active and changing environment
- Ability to gather, collate, and interpret data in the assessment of services
- Ability to think critically and make improvements to services
- Detail oriented and highly accurate
- Excellent organizational skills
- Moderate work: occasionally working in difficult position and/or with physical demands such as continuously lifting/moving materials from 25 to 50 pounds and occasionally lifting/moving materials greater than 50 pounds.
- Two years related experience required; previous supervisory experience or training required.
- Related college coursework required.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable under the University’s insurance.
Classified Pay Grade 27/$18.20 Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: January 23, 2019
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.