Student Service Counselor
The Student Service Counselor provides counseling, guidance, referrals, assistance and information to University students, parents, staff and other University offices in response to requests and inquiries. Performs research and maintains general and financial records. May serve as lead or primary processor for certain services.
Work Schedule: Full-time position. Hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provides counsel, assistance, referrals and guidance to prospective students, enrolled students, veterans, parents, University staff or other interested third parties on procedures for various matters that may impact the inquiring party, including housing, applications, transcripts, thesis requirements, financial aid and other issues.
- Loads, coordinates, maintains and may evaluate records, procedures and other documentation. May process financial or other transactions.
- Coordinates workflow and activities of student workers and temporary staff in office.
- May coordinate with Disability Services for special needs.
- Provides telephone and other general office support, including screening calls, scheduling meetings and processing forms.
- May represent department at various University events.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical skills
- Knowledge of basic reading skills
- Ability to carry out verbal and/or written instructions
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and written
- Detailed-oriented and highly accurate
- Ability to work in changing environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to interact effectively with students, faculty and/or staff or the public and represent BGSU appropriately
- Knowledge of computer skills, such as MS Office, presentations, spreadsheets and/or database entry/query
- Ability to query, run reports and modify data in financial systems
- Ability to access and maintain document imaging systems, including scanning and filing documents
- Ability to operate computers and peripheral equipment such as printers
- Ability to draft office correspondence
- Six months related experience required
- High school diploma or GED required
Full-time, Classified staff position available, pay grade 25/$16.35 – $17.89. Full benefits package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by ‘June 5, 2023’.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
Why work at BGSU?
Full-time BGSU employees enjoy an array of exceptional benefits, including:
- Quality, affordable health insurance: Various coverage options available for health, vision and dental starting the first day of the month following your date of employment.
- Generous paid time off: Vacation, holidays, sick days and more.
- Excellent work life balance resources: Our Employee Assistance Program offers confidential support to employees and their eligible family members, along with ancillary programs covering identity theft, elder care, legal services and more.
- Tuition fee waivers: For eligible employees, spouses and dependent children.
- Professional development opportunities: For skills training, supervisor and leadership programs, performance management, online courses and online tools for employee growth and development.
- Parental leave: Up to five weeks of paid parental leave for full-time employees with at least 12 months of continuous service.
- Retirement: BGSU offers several options for meeting your retirement goals with a current employer contribution of up to 14% depending on the retirement program selected. Read More about the option that best fits your needs.
Learn more about Bowling Green State University and how we aspire to be the preeminent public university that creates public good in Ohio, the nation and world.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/bgsu or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.