Student Services Counselor
Under administrative direction and general supervision, provides counseling and referral services for prospective and newly admitted students via telephone and email. Serves as a processor of applications and credentials.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Counsels prospective students, parents and general public regarding procedures and requirements to gain University admission, primarily by phone and email.
- Assists students with applications and official documents required for admission evaluation.
- Provides information and referrals regarding programs and services at BGSU.
- Maintains records, files and computerized applicant tracking system on prospective and newly admitted students.
- Processes applications for admission. Electronically codes applications, checks virtual transcript bin, and prepares applications for loading.
- Determines missing application information and follows up with applicant.
- Coordinates application workflow and activities. Provides instruction and training for student staff.
- Phone responsibilities: acts as first point of contact to departments and prospective students.
- Covers front desk as needed.
This list of essential duties, tasks, and responsibilities is not all-inclusive; individual will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical skills
- Knowledge of basic reading skills
- Ability to carry out verbal and/or written instructions
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written
- Detail-oriented and highly accurate
- Ability to work in changing environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, and/or staff or the public and represent BGSU appropriately
- Knowledge of computer skills, such as MS Office, presentations, spreadsheets and/or database entry/query
- Ability to query, run reports and modify data in financial systems
- Ability to access and maintain document imaging systems, including scanning and filing documents
- Ability to operate computers and peripheral equipment such as printers
- Ability to draft office correspondence
- Six months related experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
Full-time classified staff position. The hiring range for this position is $16.35 - $17.89, based on previous experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by September 23, 2022.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.