Instructor, Composite Technology - Occupational Extension - AdjunctGuilford Technical Community College
Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction and for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Under supervision of the project coordinator, this individual will prepare for and teach Composite Technology courses within the department. The individual will also be responsible for collaborating with business and industry partners to provide necessary training and education. The instructor must be able to demonstrate correct operation and supervise operation in all or most of the following areas listed: the application of composite manufacturing processes, comprehension of technical specifications and fabrication methods, manufacture of typical composite components to mandated standards given the required material, tools and equipment, the selection, installation, removal of conventional composite common and special fasteners.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
• developing learner centered lesson plans
• employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
• incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
• creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
• preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate
• conducting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
• participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
• participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records to include:
• maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
• providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials and maintaining safe working conditions
• maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
• complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and regulations
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
• conducting recruiting activities
• promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
• referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintain student records.
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High school diploma
-Associates degree in an aviation, manufacturing, engineering, or related technical field from a regionally accredited college/university.
-Three years documented experience in aviation manufacturing or an aviation technically related field specializing in advanced composite structural fabrication and repairs.
-Five years documented experience in aviation manufacturing or an aviation technically related field specializing in advanced composite structural fabrication and repairs.
-One year experience with sheetmetal structures manufacturing and repair.
-Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery systems (Moodle)
The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Ability to effectively implement and apply technology solutions.
Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
6. Linking Student Learning Outcomes (within 30 days of hire)
7. Moodle Certification (if teaching online or hybrid – within 30 days of hire)
1. May include teaching day and evening and on multiple campuses
2. Position may require standing for extended periods of time, stooping, walking, climbing, and bending to supervise students in confined areas inside, underneath, and on top of aircraft, as well as elevated work stands and platforms.
3. Exposure to hazardous materials is possible and will require safe handling, use and disposal. Some classes require using flammable and/or inert high pressure gasses, and using high pressure hydraulic equipment.
4. Lifting, and positioning of heavy equipment in preparation for classes and labs is required.
5. Work may be required in an environment that varies from hot to cold (seasonal) which can be both noisy and dusty.
1. Criminal history checks, with acceptable results, are required.